Summer 2007

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Hear Ye

Racers, man your pens. Get ready to fill out your entry forms for the Good Old Boats Race that will be held on 6 and 7 October. The race will be limited to 80 boats and hopefully if sufficient T30s are entered. a separate one design start will be scheduled. There will be a raftup after the race in Mill Creek off of Whitehall Bay behind the North Severn Navy radio towers. If you would like to participate in this “laid back” fun race, contact Gene Gottschalk at: 301-286-0151 or email him at

July T30 Cruise

as seen from Cloudsong

The morning greeted us with very light airs but when the sun was directly overhead, the breezes freshened. The ride down Eastern Bay turned out to be a one-tacker. We were able to sail right up to the entrance marker of the Wye River. After passing Shaw Bay, we turned up the iron genny. However, the navigational gods did not favor Cloudsong. After rounding can “3”, we turned to port and within a few minutes we bumped aground. When heading up the east branch of the Wye, sailboaters or deep draft boats need to continue on toward the far shore before turning to port.

We reached Dividing Creek at 1800 and found the T30 group (Fy Shun, Miranda and Windrift) quietly anchored near the entrance to the creek. Not too long after we tied alongside, Emprise came in to complete the friendly group. Being anchored near the entrance was a great choice because with the breeze from the south, we were able to take advantage of cooling breezes during the night. In fact, the crew on Miranda had to use steadying straps below when going forward to the head. To the physicist or engineer, it is easily explained by the increased flow of air through a narrowed tube or space.

Most of us finished our dinners before we had complete darkness. There were a few nasty mosquitoes but they were not overwhelming. After a warm day of sailing we didn't need a lot of encouragement to rig our screens and “turn in”.

The following morning people began to stir and to light up their coffee pots. Breakfasts on anchored boats are the high point of meals for me. They are quiet, relaxed and fun meals. We were provided with a post-breakfast event when Jack Wong went up Emprise's mast to make a minor repair for Jim. I think that Jack may have some Cherokee genes because he enjoys mast climbing. A number of T30 pictures of raftups over the years were taken by Jack at the top of his mast. He is a man of many talents.

The raft began to break away about 0900 and by 0930 we were headed out to the Miles River. With the wind out of the SE, it was a nice reach to the mark off Tilghman Point but a very tight beat to Bloody Point. It was a nice sleigh ride from the mark to the West River and home.

Cindy is to be thanked for planning a great sailing weekend. She must have really rubbed her worry beads continuously to get us great weather and pleasant breezes. It was fun.

July 14-15 Cruise

as viewed aboard Miranda

I (Cindy) had never been in the Wye River and had rarely been up Eastern Bay, except for the St. Michaels races. As we left our dock in the Magothy, I wondered if this was going to be a good weekend for my first cruise of the year and first time as cruise captain. When leaving the Magothy, the winds were no more than five knots and therefore we motored the entire way to the Wye. As luck would have it, the wind began to pick up when we dropped the anchor. We anchored in a cove behind a large power boat with a noisy group aboard but they departed not too long after our arrival. In short order the following boats arrived: Fy Shun (Jack and Joetta), Windrift (Brad, Karen and cat Horatio), Cloudsong (Lee and Betty) and Emprise (Jim and Holly). We had a wonderful evening sharing appetizers and stories with enough breeze to ward off mosquitoes and remain comfortable.

Sunday we awoke to another beautiful day with a brisk breeze from the south. We sailed up Eastern Bay, turned at Bloody Point and sailed wing on wing all the way to Sandy Point Light. Gene wanted to fly the spinnaker but I was lazy. I think I could get used to cruising. A fall cruise to Eagle Cove on the Magothy is scheduled for 29-30 September. You-all come.

Web Edition bonus cruise coverage

as viewed aboard Windrift

Since we decided to bring one of our three cats, Horatio, along as entertainment, we were a bit slow organizing ourselves on Saturday morning. By the time you load up the litter box, bowls, cat food, toys, etc., you feel like you are packing for a baby. We finally exited our home creek off Whitehall Bay about 1130. We had a nice NE breeze reaching down to Bloody Point. By the time we got to the Eastern Bay, the breeze was clocking around, lifting us up the Bay. A brief experiment with the gennaker proved more trouble than it was worth, so we returned to a jib reach. The clocking breeze gave us a pretty easy reach all the way to Dividing Creek, where we finally doused sail and joined the raft. We provided a bit of entertainment to the group with our anchor-setting evolutions, trying to set a second anchor for the raft to back up Miranda's anchor which Gene felt might get overloaded by the whole raft.

We had a fine evening, hearing all sorts of stories from “back in the day” as well as catching up on everything else. Horatio finally recovered from his sailing trauma to make an appearance on deck.

Click to enlarge.
Windrift's GPS tracks, 14-Jul (red) and 15-Jul (blue)

Click to enlarge.
Close-up of Windrift's track in the Wye River (Lee found his shoals somewhere just south of Bennett Pt.)


Sunday provided a beautiful morning. As Karen tried to get a little more sleep, I brewed up some tea and enjoyed the morning with the raft. Once we broke up and headed out of the creek, we raised sail to beat out of the Eastern Bay, just squeaking around EB1 before bearing off for a long deep reach back to Whitehall Bay. Thanks to Cindy for motivating us to come out for a cruise weekend.

The Galley Slave

You want WHAT for dinner??

This is a new column open to all who have a favorite recipe that T30 sailors cannot do without or that you just know your fellow sailors would enjoy. Karen Whitehurst has very kindly offered her skills in the planning and editing of The Galley Slave.

Mexican Papaya Salad

Ingredients for the salad:

1 bag mixed spring greens, washed & drained
1 bunch scallions, chopped
4 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped fine
½ average size ripe green skinned (“Caribbean red”) papaya or 1 golden papaya
2 red bell peppers
2 ripe avocadoes
juice of 1 lime (for the avocado)

Ingredients for the dressing:

juice of 2 limes
½ tsp ground onion
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 to 8 oz. extra virgin olive oil

Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together and set aside.


  1. Combine mixed greens, chopped scallions and chopped cilantro in a large salad bowl.

  2. Cut the papayas in half and scoop out the seed with a spoon. Cut into quarters, remove the peel and slice the flesh thinly. Lay the slices on the greens.

  3. Core the red bell peppers and slice into long strips. Add to the papaya and greens.

  4. Cut the avocado in half around the pit, twist and pull apart. Remove the pit. Carefully remove the skin. If it is ripe it will practically peel itself. Dice the peeled avocado and toss with the lime juice to prevent discoloration. Add the other salad ingredients to the bowl.

  5. Cover the bowl and chill until ready to serve.

  6. When ready to serve, pour dressing over the salad and toss slightly. Optionally sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.

Notes: For boat use, make salad and dressing at home and put into separate containers. Follow step six in the galley. Total prep time is about 45 minutes (faster if you slice fast). I prefer to enjoy my frineds' company with a Manhattan or a Dark 'n Stormy instead of slaving in the galley. Originally found in Cooking Mexican by Marlena Spieler. Modifications by Karen Whitehurst.

Free for the Taking

Brad Armendt is offering a layer of cork and adhesive to re-floor your T30. Call Brad at 410-838-3703.